Friday, November 19, 2010

Get ready for the ouch!

This Wednesday (24th November) I will be getting an endometrial biopsy in Sydney at RPA. Am I scared? Hell yes! I will not be given any pain relief or put under sedation. I will be wide awake. I have no idea what to expect. My blood tests have stopped for now. Phew! I will need to get another one on Tuesday, though.

We will be driving to Sydney (as I have mentioned, it is about 5.5 hours by car or 7 hours by bus). My husband and I are trying to see it as time away (even though I am anxious) so we have booked into a 5 star hotel. Our bank balance can't really afford it after the out of pocket expenses of IVF but I think we deserve to give this to ourselves.

I am not sure how long it takes to test the sample from the biopsy. They are looking for NK Killer cells (cells that attack anything foreign and if there are an excess of cells, they can attack a growing fetus). I don't think I have these cells but I suppose it is good to rule it out. I still believe I am miscarrying due to my thin lining. I was, however, considering doing PGD IVF for my next cycle. This is when they test the embryos at a certain stage (obviously before transferring one back) for several genetic disorders.

Not much else to report. I am starting to feel better after my dark period last week. I still feel thick waves of sadness but I am trying to deal with it more constructively. Thank you to those people who offered support and kind words.

5 comments:

  1. Best wishes and safe travels to you Manda, after everything you have been through I am sure the pain will be bearable. So glad you and your husband are treating yourself to a nice hotel, sometimes the small things like that give us the lift we need. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Manda! Will be thinking of you <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manda, hope everything went ok yesterday and you are recovering nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. andyk, unfortunately things did not go as well as I had hoped. To be honest, I am not surprised! Nothing ever seems to be straight forward in my case! I hope you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete